Knutsford 10 Moore 15

Moore were able to put to bed a dire performance at Knutsford 12 months prior as they battled to take a vital victory. The win sees their win streak extended to an incredible 10 games, thanks to an incredible whole team effort.

With an unavailability and injury a factor with many of Moore’s regular back line, they were forced to deploy Forwards on the wings, taking on of Moore’s strengths in recent weeks away.

The game started with Moore receiving the ball, and immediately Moore looked strong going forward, with the pack able to smash through the Knutsford line. A penalty just inside the Knutsford 22m gave Matt Bradshaw the chance to open the scoring with an easy shot at goal to take it to 0-3.

Knutsford immediately looked to get back into the game and looked to exploit the weaknesses on the fringes of the Moore defence. Some fine hands saw Knutsford score two tries in quick succession as Moore reshuffled their team to cope and to start their fight back from 10-3 down.

Once again it would be the Moore Forwards who would drive the team on, with a number of excellent runs pushing the team up the pitch. An excellent break from Jayson Biddle would see Moore right on the line and with Sam Craven in plenty of space, but, on a blustery day the wind took the ball, dropping it just short of Craven’s hands.

A Mike Barr line break would see Moore score their first try of the half, with the scrum half ghosting through, before Moore played through the phases allowing Sam Craven to make amendments for his earlier drop to take the game to 10-8. Knutsford desperately looked for a further try in the dying minutes of the first half, but a resolute Moore defence would keep them out.

The second half was played in much the same way as the first, with both teams putting in huge amounts of work in defence as the conditions worsened. Moore continued to work hard with the Forwards gradually plugging away, but were guilty of letting too many loose balls go. The back row pairing of Mikey Woollacott and Ben Craven kept Knutsford on their toes and were responsible for a number of fine turnovers, abetted by a steely Moore defence.

It was Knutsford’s ill discipline which perhaps cost them the game. Firstly Moore had a chance to take the lead as Bradshaw looked to kick a penalty from the 15m mark around 35 metres out, but it wasn’t to be as the ball struck the inside of the post, but bounced back into play.

A further penalty for Moore would see the ball kicked into touch just outside the Knutsford 22m, from the resulting lineout an excellent rolling maul was formed and after a number of phases Jack Harvey would eventually break over the line as Moore took a 10-15 lead with 10 minutes to go.

Moore resolved to see the game through, with the Forwards continuing to inch the ball forward in attack as they looked to end the game. With weary bodies trying to still keep going there was a knock on which gave Knutsford a few final breaks, but Moore stood resolute to take home a victory to be proud of.

With 10 wins on the bounce Moore have established quite a gap between themselves and 4th placed Lymm. A victory for Manchester over Anselmians meant that Moore remain in third, one point behind Manchester, but just 6 points behind top placed Anselmians.

Moore take a break this Saturday, but return to action on Saturday 9th hosting Old Bedians.