Prenton 17 Moore 34

Moore started the New Year in much the same vein as they had in 2018 with an excellent victory over fellow promotion chasers Prenton.

The game started somewhat predictably fraught, with both sides making a number of errors in the opening twenty minutes as they sought to work the Christmas break out of their systems. It would be twenty minutes before any impression on the scoreboard was made, with Matt Bradshaw opening the scoring with a penalty.

The game sprung into life from that point, with Moore looking dangerous with strong direct running driving them up the field. Sadly, the offload game which is normally such a crisp, joy to watch refused to work, often seeing attacks peter out. From there Moore switched tactics and looked to pin Prenton back in their own 22m. Excellent defensive pressure near the Prenton line saw a penalty awarded to Moore, which saw Jack Harvey attack the line with gusto for a 10-0 lead.

Once again, Moore aimed to play within the Prenton 22m, making excellent use of the boot to pin Prenton back. A penalty for a high tackle following a Moore turnover would see another try for the visitors as Max Holland used space well to establish a 17-0 lead.

Following a string of penalties against them, Moore would end up conceding near the stroke of Half Time as the score moved to 7-17.

With reminders of the reverse fixture from this season, which saw Prenton score 42 points in the second half, Moore set out to establish control of the game and see the victory out.

It would be the Black and Gold that would score first in the second half, with excellent play in the Moore Centres creating an overlap which winger Henry Frankling took with a gusto, running in to score from over half way.

Prenton would re-establish themselves thanks to poor discipline by Moore. First, Max Holland was yellow carded for infringements at the ruck.  From the resulting penalty the hosts were able to drive over to reduce the deficit to 12-22. A further yellow would be handed to Tony Fretwell minutes later, reducing Moore to 13 men. Once again, after a number of penalties Moore once again conceded with a carbon copy of their earlier try. Moore managed to rally however, successfully keeping Prenton out for the duration of their reduced numbers.

After returning to full numbers it would be Moore that would once again be in the driving seat, establishing a healthy lead thanks to excellent, patient work which saw Jack Harvey once again crash through the line to score.

With a 12 point lead, Moore looked more than comfortable in control of the game and Prenton never really looked like getting back into the game. The final try of the game would see an excellent grubber kick from Max Holland seized upon by Sam Craven as the game ended 17-34 to Moore.